Should I sell or should I parts? - looking for advice:

Hi all. This is not spam, just looking for some sound advice ....

I have a '93 Maxima SE with the DOHC at about 144K. Great car, no rust, and it got me from Colorado to NH 6 months ago with no problems. The Blue Book value of the car is around $2,500. My first, non-Nissan mechanic can't figure out the problem in has me for about $300 in labor and ignition coils. The local Nissan dealership wants

5-6 hours to diagnose the misfiring issue, nevermind repair time and parts, plus time to figure out the stalling problem. That cost me $150 right there. Afraid of getting in over my head in repair costs, I bought an old Volvo for next to nothing to get me through the summer. I want to sell the Maxima but am unsure if I should A: part it B: sell it as is C: fix it and hope I can recoup repair costs plus make a little.

Right now in my life I don't want to take the chance of repairing only to have other issues come to the forefront. I don't like option C.

All in all the car is in great shape, except for the above mentioned issues. Has an Alpine stereo, Bose speakers, and new tires and altenator. I don't like option C, only because I'm liable for repair costs. Option A is good because I know some parts (altenator, ignition coils, starter) can be expensive and should be able to sell in the used market. I should be able to make a little bit of money off the parts, but is it worth the hassle and what do I do with the frame? Option B seems the easiest, but will I get fair value for the car?

Any thoughts? I don't mean to repeat any threads in this group, so, please, if I have, post the links. I looked, but didn't find quite what I was looking for. Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

-drewmo

Reply to
drewmo

What do you think the fair value is?

Reply to
Jim

Are you going to be able to take it apart to "part it out" i.e pull the engine ect? If not this isn't even an option.

Sounds like the no gamble approach but it probably isn't worth much this way.

Depends on what it costs to fix, which you don't know. That's why it isn't worth much without being fixed as no one knows how much it will cost to make it run right..

Then sell it as is.

Of course not. No one with any sense would pay retail price for a car that runs bad.

Reply to
Steve T