CDN US price differential

Can anyone take a stab at why the '07 E320 CDI base price is US$51k in the US and CDN$67.5 in Canada, with the exchange rate around 10% and has every
sign of being stable, if not decreasing in the future
cheers, guenter
Guenter Scholz wrote:

Import taxes higher in Canada?
This is not a stab, it is cautious probe.
.

manufacturers selling for comparable prices if one keeps in mind that standard features may be somewhat different. In this case, the cars are identical.... the price differential originates from DaymlerChrysler..... I guess the message is Canadians are suckers.
cheers
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:43:02 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca (Guenter Scholz) wrote:

One reason is they are different
A good start would be for the Canadian Government to have the same specifications as the cars imported into the US.
The requirement for stronger bumpers makes no sense when the same government encourages people to buy lighter and more efficient cars. Also gives manufacturers the excuse to increase the price of the cars made for Canada and protects Canadian dealers.
Do you know that American MB dealers are not allowed sell a new MB to a Canadian resident?
I can give you an approximate cost in Can $ of importing a US$51K MB 51k x 1.1V.1 Duty 6,5 %c,793 Broker $400d,193 MB mode cost up to 7,000d,893 Several inspections, about $500.00e,393
We are not including GST+PST , you lose part of the warranty and if it is a new car, you can not get it because they will not sell it to you.
So much for free trade.
John