COLD STARTING

Hello all
My 89' 560SEL when the engine is started (often) cranks for 7 seconds before it starts up. It runs fine (except for some grey smoke).I noticed that when
I was driving the other car and my wife driving my MB. Every that she accelerated their reared the ugly plume of smoke. When I drove it, it too was smoking. I have to admit though, at a stop light whoever is behind me gets a nice face full of smoke. :o))))))))))))))))))
Any help would be great.
Bill
Worn motor.