comments on the '94 S350 TD?

Howdy!

I'm looking at buying a 1994 S350 TD with 285,000 km. The previous owner drove between Calgary, AB and Palm Springs, FL (e.g. mainly highway kilometers). The car seems in mint condition. I will be taking it to a MB shop to get checked out but I was curious as to what I should be looking at specifically?

I've read that this engine had a history of bending connecting rods? Were

*all* engines defective? Or were some OK?

What else would I look for in terms of engine problems? Is a compression test a reliable indicator? How can I test the A/C? Anything else I should be looking at closely?

I would appreciate any and all comments!

cheers, Norm

Reply to
ColdCanuck

Some are apparantly ok. Oil consumption is the warning sign. Besides this problem they have aluminum heads and if they overhear ONCE, they're almost certainly fried. There are NO good used heads for these cars.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Thanks Richard!

After searching the 'Net, I've decided to pass on this car and I bought a one owner '87 300D with 265,000 miles on it (California car). In bringing the car into Canada, the previous owner just had almost everything rebuilt or replaced last year (I have the receipts)!

One question: does anyone know if MB still replaces the trap oxidizer on these cars? This car still has one in place.

If not, is replacing it a DIY-kind of job?

cheers, Norm

Reply to
ColdCanuck

Yes. I have no direct experience, but my understanding is they will replace any trap oxidizer.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan