405 TD buying

I'm currently looking for a 405 TD estate, preferably a MK2, as I've been told these have a better interior. Anyway, so far I've been to look at a couple - one was a 93/4, and had a top mounted IC, done 115000 miles, and had a very droney sounding engine, as if something were vibrating. The other was a 96 or so, and had a less droning sound, but a very loud turbo whistle, and had done 170 thousand miles, and looked to be in a bit of a state. Can anyone tell me what a 405 TD in good nick *should* sound like? I've a fair idea about petrol engines, but I usually only ever encounter diseasels in tractors....

Reply to
Doki

As far as I am aware, I have a 406 2.1 TDI....

Most diesels sound like a bag of nails at startup...

Check the Glowplugs work and it start easily, it may not need just glowplugs, the relays or anything else could have gone, this could be expensive.

Listen for Crankshaft slap (Worn Big-Ends), revving it constantly at about

1200Rpm should allow you to hear this better. Also listen for Camshaft problems at this speed.

Listen for turbo Whistle.....

Make sure it doesnt Jerk badly when changing gear at 4000RPM, this can be stuck or malfunctioning dump valve.

Most french cars leak oil from most places in my experience....

Look for Smoke, Blue is almost always bad! - Black could be anything from overfueling to blocked or dirty injectors. Lots of Black smoke especially under acceleration is almost always a faulty turbo.

My father had a 405 and the rear wheel bearings where a problem, check for deep rumbling sounds when turning corners.

To everybody else :- This is not a definitive list, just a quick aid to buying any diesel engine. Please feel free to correct me I don't offend easily :)

Make sure the temperature guage goes between 70-85 degrees...

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

I've got a 92 405 turbo diesel estate with 90,000 miles genuine, which has the smaller same block 1768cc but very torqe-y engine (which I prefer over the 1905 TD I once drove).

=Engine has a light clatter which you don't really notice from inside when underway. Dull til 2200 rpm when turbo cuts in. Vrrooommmmm! Can smoke on acceleration if only driven short journeys; mine was hopeless when bought, but improved greatly after a few hundred-mile motorway runs. I did have a glo-plug fail and starting was harder and clattering awful. Can't help on turbo whistle. Touch wood touch wood.

=Central locking on these cars can go wonky, so can electric windows if not used, and blipper security/alarm, and the electric sunroof.

=Watch for leaks round the bleed screw in the top of the rad on offside. If the o-ring seal goes you hardy notice the water you are losing til you are in trouble.

=The rear suspension is torque rods and trailing arms and the bearings in these can seize. Initially it sounds like the exhaust is banging, but it's more of a cracking noise. Bearings are cheap, but replacement is V V expensive. There's a firm near Honiton which does rebuilt replacements at a fraction of the dealer costs, or chance one from a breakers.

=The heater matixes are prone to leak (have on two of mine) and cost up to £500 to replace because book is to take out whole fascia. But can be done (thanks to someone on this group for telling me) by taking out glove box for access and clamping hoses on bulkhead side. New matrix £50 ... plus about three hours hanging in passenger footwell.

For all that, they are great comfortable all-round load-carrying around town or motorway mile-eating cars, and generally economical. The handling is great, and the ABS disks all-round has saved my life at least once, and probably those in the car which pulled out right in front of me.

Reply to
Wichita

My blipper unit has gone. Is it usual for the plip to go, or the receiver unit (or both??) Does the receiver unit do all the functions or is there an alarm unit in the facia somewhere? Haynes just recommends going to a peugeot dealer.

I can live without the alarm and the remote but if I remove the battery it requires a working plip to reset the system. Must be a way round this - would a peugeot dealer have this information. Can't be all that unusual. I would just have a third party alarm fitted. Had a Laserline on a 405 for 9 years without problems. but that was a early model of 405 with only remote central locking.

Whats the name of the firm? Just for reference, as I do not have a problem at the moment.

Garage mentioned that high coolant levels could give problems - say around

50%. Can anyone confirm this? I live in an area that has low temp in winter and require extra protection.
Reply to
Harry

What you doing round here?!! :)

My 205s have had lots of turbo whistle (the first one was very bad, i used to get lots of heads turning when i drove off quickly!), and lots of people told me the turbo was knackered. When i blew up the engine i also changed the turbo (to a newer, and slightly bigger one) and it still whistled. Turned out it was just the rear silencer that was old and couldnt muffle the whistle!

If you wanna hear what one should sound like i'll record my 205 for you!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Wichita

I think a Cars Pegeuot is very good model

Reply to
£ukasz Marciszewski

Same sound basicaly, like a bunch of demented elves bashing an anvil with hammers ;-) Ok to be fair the TDs were a bit like that but only with the bonnet up. The HDis are a lot more refined. Maybe it's just me, but I find that diesel noise re-assuring, I hate cars where you can't hear if the engine's going or not. (Oh I've never heard a turbo whistle although my TD had a turbo, so maybe that is a prob.)

jim.

Reply to
jim.

Hi,

I use to enjoy turbo whistle, perhaps 'cause I don't have any :-) My brother's 205 DTurbo ('91, 250,000km) quite recently developped an amazing turbo whistle (damn so good to hear). I've heard it could be unscrewed / a bit loose outlet manifold bolts. The problem was known on early R25 TD (I got it from a friend of mine, which is a Renault agent, and however a good friend of mine). I guess there's nothing to worry about.

HTH, G.T ('93 205 Junior D) snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T