Confused about weight.

I was looking up the weights of several MB's the other day and noticed that at MB's site they list my W124 (E300) as weighing about 3500lbs.
However, there is a badge on the inside drivers door jam that clearly states
that the GVWR is 4500lbs, even gives a front and back split that totals 4500lbs.
So which is it?
MB lists late model E320's at around 3400lbs, SL500 at about 4200lbs and SLK's at about 3200lbs. I've read that the SL is closer to 5000lbs and that the SLK is closer to 4000lbs. It seems high but what do I know?
I'm very confused.

Is one the loaded weight vs. the unloaded weight?

A Mercedes, like a women, never admits to her true age or weight.
GVWR is the gross vehicle weight RATING....not the vehicle weight itself. In my business GVWR is 65000lbs but the vehicle itself weighs only 12000lb.

I agree with that and the numbers concur with what I recollect of my W123. Many Merc saloons have a load-carrying capacity of about 500 kg (i.e. 1000 lb).
DAS --

hold/carry...including the hitch/tongue weight