Confused about tire clearance.

Hi all. I know I'm just "missing something here" but if a CJ with no extra lift at all can handle a 31" tire ok, then if someone put a 33" inch tire on instead, that would only translate to an extra 1" of radius, since it would be a 2" diameter increase...so wouldn't a 1" body lift be enough to clear a 33" tire? Not from what I read, it won't. I'm talking about a tire of the same width, like say a 10.5" wide 31" tire being replaced by a 10.5" 33" tire. See what I mean? Can someone let me know where the problem is with my thinking? Again, I'm sure there's something else here at play that I'm not aware of. Just trying to figure this stuff out in my own head. I appreciate your responses to all of my questions. Thank you.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

I don't knoiw where your thought process falls apart, but I have an '81 CJ5 with 32x1150s, 2.5" of spring lift, and an inch of body lift, and my tires rub inside the front fenders. I occasionally get the rear tires to rub inside the fenders also. The rubbing is very minor, but enough to have rubbed the paint off.

Reply to
CRWLR

That 1" radius translates into a different opening needed on the fenders to clear.

The bigger diameter isn't really linear because the opening in the fender isn't a half circle, it has squared off edges and a flat top.

Just adding a 1" body lift won't raise it enough for the tires to 'see' the new opening shape they need. Something like a 2.5" spring lift gives good clearance.

I think I explained that right...

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:23:56 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

But...if I look at this link:

I got from your link page:
says: (I have a '76 CJ5) Jeep CJ 76 - 86

No Lift. Usually a CJ with no lift will take a 31" tire the best. I have seen 33" tires stuffed under though, I would no want to take the Jeep off road this way. I think you will hear a lot of fender rubbing during suspension flex.

2.5" Lift. Seems that this is most common. 33" tires fit good and usually don't hit except with very soft springs. The 82 to 86 CJ-7 may be a little more prone to fender rubbing due to the wide-track axles. 4" Lift. The most common size I usually see is 33" to 35" tires. 4" lifts seem to vary in overall lift, so your maximum size tire will depend on your situation.

So it looks like I'd need at least a 2.5" lift for 33" tires. See what I mean?

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:55:12 -0800, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III shared the following:

Stay tuned... ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

When I put taller tires under my '79 I also lifted it a coupla inches, but you're talking about rubbing under duress, not while cruising straight down the trail. Front tires rub minimally (VERY minimally). Rear tires can get caught up on edge of fender well, but this is easily taken care of by carefully trimming the well. Cut a wedge (1" max at lower front and rear edges) that decreases in size toward the upper edge of the well to retain the soft round lip (instead of simply cutting it off and leaving a sharp edge). Rivet or weld the soft lip to the remaining body. All if it hides under the rubber fender flares. No one can really tell...til you're the one with the big tires that don't rub for some "mysterious" reason.

Reply to
JenPete