E300TD Defective Light display

My E300TD, on occassion, shows the "defective light" display on the dash. When this happens you cannot read anything else on the dash. This has come
on even though all the external lights are functioning fine. Usually this problem goes away the next time I start the car. Is this caused by loose contact at one of the lights? My car battery is 7 years old (99 model). Perhaps this is the cause?
Raj
Yes, change the battery soon. My wife's 96 C280 had clock reset, random shut-down on climate control, radio (no problem on dash display thought) shortly before the car failed to start. No problem at all since battery was changed.