Fitting a Mercedes V8 into Ford Cortina 1.6 '80 Mark V?

I have a Ford Cortina which firstly had 1.6 4-cyl engine, which I placed with 2.8 V6 from Sierra XR4i. But I want more power now .I would like to put V8 , from Mercedes.I wanted
to fit firstly Ford V8, but here ain't any Ford V8's and american V8's in general.So I gave up on that.Mercedes V8 are more often, here in Croatia, and in Bosnia. I'm planning to fit 5.0, from 500 SEL, is there any difference in block size, between engines in 380, 450, 500, 560 models? Cooling?Which radiator should I put then? Transmission?Could Type 9 5speed Ford gearbox be fitted to Mercedes V8?What conversions do I have to made? Or, can I connect gearbox shaft from Mercedes ( if i buy engine with gearbox ) to Cortina propshaft? Engine mounting?Could I mount ( handlers of engine ) I give someone to made me that? What about propshaft?Could propshaft ( and differential ) survive so much power? What about installations? Sorry on my bad english, I'm from Croatia... P.S.Is the radiator from 2.0 V6 for Cortina enough powerful too cool down this 2.8 V6 that I have?Just to mention, I don't have visco, because the propeller is connected directly to engine. Thanks!
I don't know about Ford's naming policy in your part of the world, but in the UK the Cortina went out YEARS ago. Should be fun putting a 5 litre engine in such a chassis... :-) Will it survive above 160 km/h, or will the engine take off on its own..?...
:-)) DAS
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Dori, Dori, Dori... ... not only was my first car a Ford Taunus II Turnier (the German version of the Cortina Estate) but it also could handle all the power from the engine very well and I am sure it would have been able to handle a plus of 50 per cent power very easily.
Juergen P.S.: Ok, ok, it was an 1.6 litre with 68 PS... ;-)))

Hear is called Taunus, like in other parts of Europe. I don't understand wha do you mean, by saying went years ago.I hope that you are not one of those guys who's life moto is mr.Ford's saying. Yes, it is an old car, but, if you could only see faces of those with new cars when they look my back lights.
Anton
I was just imagining putting a very big, maybe fairly modern, engine into an older body with older suspension etc
:-) DAS

Hm, it is not so modern engine, because I'm planning from S class from 80's.As for size of engine, look this : http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?th510&highlight@0ci+cortina
I admire your dedication.
DAS
Will you put a 3-point star on top of ford's logo
:)

Dobo Utro,
You have the wrong "Merc" Anton, but I like your style. You need to find a Mercedes group not a Mercury group. I'm sure most posters on the Mercedes group will be bitching about cleaning leather rather than engine swaps so Good Luck! StuK
ThunderSnake #11

1) In the 'real' Merc :-) group we do discuss engines swaps and other such matters. Have a look and surprise yourself...
2) Anton has a Ford, so it's not inappropriate he posts into a Ford group, especially as he made a comment about apparent unavailability of big Ford engines.
... DAS

Hm, I think you wanted to say "dobro jutro"?Which means "good morning" on croatian. I asked that, and send crosspost, because V8 is a V8, affcourse there are differences, but there ain't many difference if I put Mercedes or Ford V8, because I have to make modifications.So that's why I asked in "big-block" group.
Anton wrote:

Hi, Anton, As Stuart noted, you might have better luck in a Mercedes forum, or in alt.autos.rod-n-custom and rec.autos.rod-n-custom as both of those deal in all sorts of things. Maybe alt.hotrod will help. I would like to help, but I know nothing about Mercedes engines. Good luck with your project!
--
Tom
TS3

Thanks I'll try...

Why go to all that trouble ? Why not go out and buy a car with a very big engine ? It would be a great deal cheaper and quicker.
--
All the best,
Stubbsy.

Have you ever heard for phrase "car enthusiasm"?