HELP ! 84 300 D with turbo WON'T CUTOFF

In order to stop this car I have to pop the hood and use the manual choke. Otherwise removing the key has absolutely no effect. Any light on this will be greatly appreciated - NW

I fixed it. The vacuum line near the oil filter had come undone. Got the idea after reading several headers in this newsgroup. The input in this newsgroup over the years has saved me a bundle. Both in do it yourself repairs and rip off prevention. Now I'm passing on info to my buddy who is a proud new mercedes owner. Thanks to all.--NW