Help! Seats moving by themselves!

I'm new to this group. I just bought a 1984 300sd this week in very good condition except for one thing. When driving last night, the drivers seat started moving
all by itself. All the way back, then scrunching me toward the steering wheel. I was able to override the problem by manually using the switches on the door.
Also, my dash lights seem dim.
I'll start to look for a short tomorrow.
In the meantime, where is the fuse for the seat so that I can remove and disable the problem? It's unsafe to drive right now.
Is there a likely place to start looking for the short?
Thanks in advance, Jeff
Rooster wrote:

I'd get rid of her, quickly... ;)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085333 /
Ximinez

I have no answer and I realize the problem is real, but this is the funniest problem I've read about here. Something about the image of having the seat moving back and forth on it's own sounds like a gag set up. I might keep it as is for the entertainment value. Just loan it out a lot and watch the fun!
Rotating knob to change brightness? (Probably two knobs; this could be on left.)
DAS
"Rooster" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@y27g2000pre.googlegroups.com...
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:34:01 -0800, Rooster wrote:

Hi Rooster, I'm sorry to say that I don't have a clue about the mysterious seat adventure.
However, the dash light dimness is most likely old age. If the rheostat on the left side of the dash panel doesn't brighten or dim it, you probalby will want to replace the bulbs. There are instructions at http://articles.mbz.org/instrument/renew/ that pertain to renewing the dash cluster that will be your best resource.
HtH,
--
Cheers, Kurt

If you think they look dim, then you probably have them at maximum brightness. If you think that they are not working, then they are probably weak. They are just really dim by design. People have tried LEDs with success, but if you do make sure you know how to wire them properly.
Truly I am stunned. I also have a 1984 300SD and after bringing i back from the repair shop for a few minor repairs THE EXACT SAM THING HAPPENED. Remove fuse number 15 to stop the seat. You'll los trunk light, dash warning light, courtesy cabin light, antenn raise/lower and a few other non critical items. If you find out wha it is let me know. I am sure my shop goofed up and did something bu I am stumped as to what could've happened FixExpert.com - Automotive Repair Wiki http://www.FixExpert.com
On Nov 29, 5:45 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (tballx) wrote:

Hi, What I did to fix the problem was to get into the driver's door panel and to unplug the seat preset buttons (1/2). My guess was that the seat was somehow trying to find a preset position and there was a short somewhere. My problem happened when it was raining.
I also replaced the old plastic covering inside the door panel with new plastic sheeting and put some silicone here and there to try and waterproof the inside. The problem hasn't come back, but I'm still waiting for it to rain to see if it's fixed. Thanks for the tip on the fuse. Now I'll know which one to pull out if I get caught in a rainstorm and Christine raises her ugly head again!!
Jeff