hot sr9850 relay and ABS light.

Hi group, I have a 1988 420 SE. In the fusebox there are 5 of the above numbered relays. The one on the passenger side, closest to the front of the car is really hot to touch, even with the ignition off. I replaced it and no difference. Also, the ABS warning light remains on. Any connection between the 2, and why would it be hot? Also when cold, it needs to have the gas pedal depressed when starting. Engine just totally rebuilt, but these problems remain. Any input appreciated.

Reply to
Tony Pike

The engine has a cold start circuit that sprays extra fuel into the intake manifold for the first ten or fifteen seconds when you crank the motor. That extra fuel is needed to get the cold engine going.

The cold start circuit has two or three components in a chain like system: temperature sensor (is motor cold? ON, hot OFF) and an electric valve to provide the fuel.

Suggest you determine if the cold start valve is receiving power when the cold engine is cranked. If so, the valve is suspect, if not the sensor is suspect.

Relay. What component is dead when you remove the hot relay? Could be a window switch is stuck in its ON position, for instance.

ABS - beyond me.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

I removed the hot relay, and it operates the power windows. The window switches do not seem to be continually on, but they do operate correctly. I hope it is not a short to chase down here. And the relay stays really hot, had to boost the car again today. I removed it so I can use my car but it sucks with the windows not working. "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Tony Pike

Suggest you put up a new post regarding the windows and their relay. Someone may have a better idea than mine or a switch stuck ON.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 17:32:05 -0700, "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Happy Trails

Reply to
Tony Pike