420 1988 probs

Also I have noticed that the electric front windows are inoperative, no heat on front and back windows, but motor warms up o.k. There are 2 black plastic relays on the outside firewall (about the size of the old matchboxes) that have small burn marks on their tops. Does this mean that they are blown and what do they control? Also a clear plastic relay that "looks" good. Any suggestions well appreciated.....

Reply to
Tony Pike

Window switch activates a relay which powers the window motor a/k/a "regulator". Suspect the relays you found may be for the windows, others here may confirm that. The question is why are those relays burned? Perhaps the switches are dirty and stuck ON, or the regulators are shorted - who knows without further investigation?

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Thanks T.G., Nope, I removed them and replaced after using electronic spray cleaner. Still no luck.... No idea why they are burned. Any suggestions anyone please??? "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Tony Pike

Hi Group -- There is another stupid problem now. I went to start the car today only to find no turnover at the starting motor. So I retrieved my multimeter to test the voltage. I was disappointed to see the battery tested o.k. at 12.34 volts ( engine off of course) I heard an slight continual "electric Noise" on the 3 plastic relays that I mentioned earlier during continual ignition "on" - hoping this could be related to the other problems - rear defrost (blower type), headlight wipers not working and windows not working. Hopefully this can be sorted out, winter is here already. Any suggestions appreciated. Regards. Tony

Reply to
Tony Pike

Reply to
Tony Pike

The Neutral Safety switch is often to blame for such no cranking problems. Wiggle the shifter, try it, move the shifter from P to L and back to P try it, and try it in N. Switch is in the left side of the transmission (looking from the car's front). If nothing found there suggest the starter as the next suspect.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Thank you, she does start in N T.P. "-->> T.G. Lambach

Reply to
Tony Pike