how many miles can one expect to get from a 190 diesel engine

looking at a 190 with 312000 miles on it. do you think there is any life left in it? i know there are things to look for (smoke). is there anybody out there with more miles than this?

On 2005-10-16 07:45:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@excite.com said:

Is it the 2.5L? That's a bunch of miles. Was anything major already done to the engine?
Marty
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Finally broken in, eh?
What does the rest of the car look like? I'd use THAT as a rough answer to your question as the better the car's maintenance the longer the engine's life will be.

I usually agree with T.G. but on this account we have different takes.
Just because a car looks good on the outside, doesn't mean squat about the owners awareness of mechanical maintenance.
Conversely, just because a car looks rough on the outside, doesn't mean the mechanical aspects of it weren't maintained fanatically.
The fact that it got 300K plus is as good an indication as any...
Marty

With proper maintenance throughout its entire life it could do double that, but 312K MILES is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too MUCH to buy a car at, forget about unless it's dirt cheap.
cp