Ignition light won't come on and my 300d won't start

I went out to start my '82 300D turbo and the glow plug light did not come on? I switched the key on and off a couple of times, still not light. I then turn the key and waited ~20 seconds, the normal time for
the glow plugs to heat up in the morning, then cranked the car to see if it would start, but had no luck. Any suggestions on the problem or how to trouble shoot to find the problem? thanks in advance
Side note: the other day the vacuum on the brake booster and engine shut off went out, I think its that diaphragm but have not fixed it yet.
Have you tested the glow plugs? Often, if there is one or more malfunctioning glow plugs the light does not come on and the engine does not fire.
Does the rest of ignition lights come on?
the rest of the ignition lights come on. how does one test the glow plugs?
Could this be a sign of a worn fuseable link?
Josh
Maybe you just need to check your glow plug fuse.
I tried to start the car again last night and the glow plug light came on and I was able to start the car but then it would not shut off. So it seems that I have a vacuum issue, no power brakes either. I checked the 2 vacuum lines coming off the main line going from the pump to the brake booster. the one line that has the 4 way Tee and goes through the fire wall (i think for cruise and door lock), it held a vacuum. the other line that has a Y with one end going to the fuel system did not hold vacuum, I traced it to the other line of the Y that goes to a box on top of the valve cover that has a several vacuum lines plugged into it. I plugged that line off at the Y to see if that leak made a difference, it did not. That was a far as I went last night trying to trace down the problem, any suggestion on where to check next.
Check what vacuum it is pulling and compare it to spec.
Recheck the brake booster line... you probably got a hairline crack on that fitting... possibly at the checkvalve... I know mine broke off one day and lost my brake. At this age, it is probably it.
This may have been a lucky glow plug fuse failure. Lucky because the engine's vacuum pump is busted and ought to be fixed before running the motor so you know that no broken pieces can fall into the timing chains. The vacuum pump is the round shape on the left front of the motor - below the power steering pump. A kit can be used to rebuild the vacuum pump.
The glow plug fuse or fusible link is under a cover on the glow plug relay on the left fender. The cover pulls UP. Links are available from a dealer or on-line for about $2.