intermittent wipers don't work on 2000 CLK320

My wife has had the car for about 8 months - currently 58k miles. The dealer told us that the int. wipers did not work b/c the windshield had been replaced with one w/o a rain sensor. The only way to get them to work would
be to replace the windshield. Is that correct?
Any advice/input appreciated.
CPrince
Yes, you have to have the rain sensor for the intermittants to work. And no, you cannot pry the module holder off one windshield and glue it on yours. It is bonded to the glass. Any air bubbles will defeat it.
We see them all the time. Insurance companies are the cheapest tightwads around. They go to the lowest bidder and then have to pay twice. Once for the $99 special and then for the correct MB windshield.