Knob Identification and Cruise Control

I have a new to me 1988 MB 300E. Very nice second car. In console in the floor are window switches and mirror adj., got them figured out. Small knob has a blank on one side and when moved shows a little man. What does this do?
Also, when I attempt to turn on cruise control, car speeds up significantly. Any help is appreciated. Still looking for ever elusive owner's manual.
--
Laissez Les Bons, Temps Roulette- James

the rear, sort of kid protection.
Do you mean you are looking for a free manual, or just "looking for owner's manual", at least our local dealers have those on sale, actually with a reasonable price too.