Late '90's AWD E-class diesel wagon good idea?

Thinking about replacing a large SUV with a late 90's AWD E-class wagon preferably with the turbo-Diesel, but maybe with the gas 3-liter six.
Is this likely to be a reliable choice?
I can live with the loss of towing/carrying ability, but I've heard Merc quality is not so hot and am not interested in buying into something that will nickel and dime me to death. (If I wanted that, I'd get a BMW.) we own an older Lexus LS that is utterly reliable, so we're spoiled w.r.t. reliability, but Lexus makes no AWD/wagon version of the LS or GS and we don't like the RX.
Advice?
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Why not buy a new Toureg VW AWD/wagon for about the same money as a used AWD/Estate Mercedes? Then you have German, and you have a warranty.
Larry 99 S420
Not interested in anything that over-weight and under-spaced. I already have an SUV that is WAY more sensible than the VW. So why would I step back if I wanted to stay with an SUV? Plus, I don't trust VW/Audi quality at all. The ignition coil fiasco leaves a bad impression on me as a buyer.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."
An early 90's BMW 525 wagon would be an extremely reliable vehicle. I don't know about Mercedes' reliability in these years/types of car but I know that the early 90's 525 were the most reliable BMW's ever built and will last well into 300k miles+ if regular maintenance is done. BMW has had its problems, especially with later models but not with these.
-Adam

We bought a use 94 E320 wagon, wanted diesel but couldn't find it. I strongly recommend AGAINST Mercedes unless you're prepared to go through at least 2K in mtce per year. Not AWD either but I haven't heard many nice things about that option.
ARRGHH. Shoulda bought the Suburu.
However, at 140K miles this thing still kicks BUTT! and handles better than anything else I've owned besides a Honda CRX Si.

Only TD Eclass wagon for the US was in 1987. I have seen several around my town, but all have 150k+ miles. They are out there and if you can find a clean one, it would be a bargin (CMV ~$7-8k). It is too bad that it was available for only 1yr, because in some ways this is the perfect family wagon.....
Suppposedly MB will have a new TD wagon available in the near future. If it as durable and reliable as previous MB diesels, I will get in line to buy one.

That is if E320 CDI is selling well in the USA next year. We hope to see the expansion of CDI offering to include station wagons as well as 4-litre V8 CDI for ML, G, E, and possibly S (wishful thinking on that last model).
Oliver