Mercedes 220 D

Page 2 of 2
I drove a W123 200D for two years in the early eighties. It took a week to 60 mph. So what? Fine car and I wasn't late (or in danger) either. It was
my first company car and a Merc on top of that.
DAS
"Geoff Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net> wrote in message
news:e4sqse$ snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net...

So you might've gotten underfoot when merging onto the motorway or "accelerating" (I use the term loosely) away from a traffic signal, or obstructed traffic generally, is what. You might've been having a ball, but the drivers behind you might've been...somewhat less happy.
Most people prefer cars with enough power to accelerate briskly and attain cruising speed within a short interval. If those things aren't important to you and you enjoyed that car, more power to you. But it shouldn't be hard to understand why others may differ on that score.
(*200*D? I didn't know they made 'em that small. When I think back to my late, lamented '85 W123 300D turbo and imagine what it would've been like to drive it in Califor- nia traffic with 1/3 less engine displacement, the little hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I adored that car, but I it has as little power as I'd ever consider acceptable. Or safe.)
Geoff
--
"'Phobic' is the current one-word favorite among liberal dismissals
of ideological opponents. It combines instant moral dismissal with
DAS
"Geoff Miller" < snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net> wrote in message
news:e54jnc$ snipped-for-privacy@u1.netgate.net...

Juergen, where there any 5spd 300D w123's available?
cp
cp wrote:

Yes, 300D (non-Turbo, OM 617.912 65 kw/88 PS), option starting 02/1982.
Final drive ratio was identical to 4-speed (3,46), all forward gears were a slight bit longer, 5th was 0,81.
5-speed man trans in the W123 series also was available from 02/1982 on for other diesels, 200D, 240D, 240TD, 300TD plus some exotic versions like 240D long or 240D partly bodied chassis.
And earlier - from 10/1981 on - it was available for the gasoline versions 200, 200T, 230E, 230TE, 230CE, 250, 250T, 280E, 280TE and 280CE.
Juergen

Were the 5 speeds available in the US in a 123 240D?
Steve Peterson wrote:

I've never heard of a 5 speed 240D. I didn't know there was such a thing.