Mercedes diesel in a jeep

Hello all,

A friend and I are contemplating a diesel swap in a J series jeep truck and we have decided that for the price the Mercedes 5-Cylinder Turbo diesel is the most attractive due to its availability here in the U.S. Unfortunate, it does not bolt up to any Jeep transmissions so we are left with the only option of building an adapter plate. I have built plates before for diesel conversions but as some of you may know conversions vary widly in there complexity. I have a little knowledge of the Mercedes 5-Cylinder but would in no way say that I am an expert on the engine. So my question is this. Can anyone give us some info on what we will need to look out for? I have gotten a little bit of feedback from here and there, but it has all been subjective stuff like my buddy said this and that. I have heard that the torque converter balances the engine? Is this true? How can it be overcome if we are bolting it up to a Manual jeep tranny? I have heard that we may have to fab a custom flywheel but it was not real clear as to why. If anyone can give me some specifics of things to be on the lookout for I would greatly appreciate it.

Reply to
ksmeltzer

I looked into this awhile back. But..... because of the front sump and oil pump, there was no clearance between the oil pan and front diff.

The engine is 29 1/2" tall from the bttom of the pan to the top of the valve cover.

The only 4x4 body that afforded the front diff clearance was the old style Nissan Patrol. But the frame rails are very narrow......

Reply to
Karl

Is it just that the sump is to large or are there engine components in the sump that would not allow the fabrication of a custom sump that fits around the front differential. I can fab almost anything as long as there are not parts in the way. Also can it be negated by a lift kit?

Reply to
ksmeltzer

Suggest you investigate whether the 300D Turbo was sold new in Europe with a manual transmission. Then it may be possible to find the piece(s) you need from a salvage yard in Germany or the UK etc.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

No, you cannot fab the pan differently. The oil pump is right there!

Not sure a lift kit will do much good.

Reply to
Karl

Keep the benz auto transmission. My father once put in a 300D and its auto transmission into a Ford Econoline camper. had to prefab some stuff to mount the engine but other than that no problem.

cp

Reply to
kris plasun

The problem with keeping the auto is that we don't want to use a divorced transfer case behind it as it will extent the front drive shaft quite a bit. We would like to avoid this if at all possible. I have worked out allot of the problems with the swap but am now concerned about the sump.

Reply to
ksmeltzer

Does the pump extend to the bottom of the sump could it at least be shortened. Or could the pump be relocated somehow via creative fab work?

Reply to
ksmeltzer

You guys appear to contemplate ripping up the rule books and making whatever you want out of a motor.

Fair play!

But maybe that could rather be harnessed by asking the forum what we want from a car and then going into production??

Let's make the people's Benz!

Reply to
charles blassberg

A Volksbenz!

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I think Homer already did that and it was craptacular.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I thought I would feed the term to Prof Google and I found an amusing link high up

The story is about a (64-yr-old) woman who reported her A-Class stolen but which was then found by the police a few meters from her house...

In the following discussion thread the first suggestion is that she has Alzheimer's and that she might confuse the brake with the accelerator pedal etc etc, but a couple of people spring to her defence.. Anyway, one guy points out that you can get other cars for similar money and that the only reason buy them (A-Class) is because of the star on the key fob...the A being a Volksbenz...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling