NEED INPUT Troubleshooting 190D-Won't Start

I've got a 1984 190D that will not start - the starter & battery are fine - it turns over very strong;

it just won't catch and fire off, as it were. I am not extremely well-versed on diesel engines; if it were a gasoline engine, I'd probably be capable of reasoning it out. I have learned from books at the library that the operation of the diesel engine seems pretty basic. I pulled & checked the main fuel filter - it had a lot of dirt in it, so I replaced it. The book said that "the smallest particulate of dirt in the injector can clog the nozzle and prevent the car from starting.." so, I think it's quite possible I've got a clogged injector because of the amount of dirt I found in the filter. Incidentally, I'm getting plenty of fuel to & out of the main fuel filter, so I don't think it's the fuel pump. There appears to be fuel around the base of several of the injectors; as though they are leaking the fuel out (possibly they are clogged, and not forwarding any of the fuel they're being given?). Would the fuel back up & leak out if they were clogged, or does this mean the seals are bad, and subsequently; the precise amount of fuel is not being injected into the chamber at the time that combustion should occur? Yikes! What a lot of stuff to be figuring out; but it's interesting as well as a learning process for me. OR; we've got the glow plug system to contend with. A friend of mine checked the continuity to the glow plugs and there was power to each one, but that does not necessarily mean there's power going out, right? If a glow plug were bad, would the car not start at all? I understand there is a glow plug relay as well that should be checked; which I will do. I guess what I'm asking is what is it more likely to be that is preventing the fire-off? I live in California, so it's not too cold. One more thing; a bit of history on the vehicle: it was given to me about eight months ago by a gentleman whose father had died. The car had belonged to the father and it sat at his house for five years without being started. The gentleman told me, "If you can get it started, you can have it." I took a good battery to it and put it in, and that car started on the first attempt! I mean, it didn't even hesitate! To make a long story short, I then drove the car every day for the next six months without the slightest problem - it started first time every day and ran absolutely great! Then, winter came & I wanted to replace the battery because the one I had put in there was quite old - it still started the car, but was getting tired. A friend of mine R&R'd the battery (put in a brand new marine-type heavy duty one), and the car basically has not started since. I investigated the path that one follows to R&R the battery, thinking he knocked loose a wire or something; but found nothing. I believe that since the car started so easily after sitting for 5 years & subsequently ran so great for the six months, that this is a good engine - the fluids were all clean - I checked them prior to starting it the first time. Any input on things to check on to help me get this car started would be sincerely appreciated - thank you! Sincerely, Michaela This is Saturday, July 16th, 200

-- Michaela

View this thread:

Send from

Michaela

I am like you and not well versed in diesels,but if there is fuel then maybe the glow plugs are not getting hot enough.The leak at the injectors suggest that the metal washers below are worn and leaking.

A not recommended trick but I will leave up to you!! If you want to try, run a 8 gauge wire to the first glow plug off of the positive side of battery and hold on the center of glow plug for 4 seconds and try to start.If it starts,maybe the relay is bad or no power to glow plugs.Possible when you added battery,a spike burnt the relay?!

Don't know how or if this helps,but good luck!

Reply to
CaptainW116

If compression is good the engine will start without glowplugs, albeit roughly.

cp

Reply to
cp

You're still struggling with this?

If you're confident that the polarity is correct the next thing to check is the glow plug relay's fusable link that's on or under a cover of the glow plug relay. The engine WON'T START if that link is broken for the glow plugs, yes all of them, will be DEAD without it. The link costs about $1 or $2 at M-B dealer's parts window.

The engine would start with a good link if one or even two individual glow plugs were dead. It would misfire and shake for the first ten seconds or so but be OK thereafter.

The fuel mess you describe is due to old leaking bleed off hoses that ought to be replaced. You can do that with a 3' length of bleed off hose and a utility knife and gloves. Remove old, cut new to size and push onto the barbs. Do one segment at a time.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

And I agree with both TG and Tiger.

Reply to