Nicked mercedes badge

Page 2 of 2
...Potsdamer Platz.. (one m)...
DAS

âś–
One more time...
http://www.berlin.citysam.de/potsdamer-platz-6-fotos-berlin.htm
Here is a star on the Merc building on said square. Nothing like as obvious as next to the Gedächtniskirche.
DAS
âś–

Wow! Just imagine how big that radiator must be! :~)
Marty
Add pictures here
âś–
Some hoodlum stole the original one so he could wear it around his neck though so this is just a removeable one that a guy takes out when they close up shop :-) Richard

Add pictures here
âś–

You are talking about the Europa Center Berlin (http://www.europa-center-berlin.de/?lang=en ). The star still is in place and riots would take place if Mercedes (or anybody else) would dare to remove it. This building with its star is one of the most famous icons for the cold war West Berlin.
Mercedes opened a new, impressive subsidiary in Munich about 18 months ago (14 floors high, which is one of the highest buildings in munich). They wanted to place a rotating star on top of the building and this was forbidden by the local construction authority. They kept on lobbying around with bavarian and federal politicians until finally this local decision was ruled out by a higher instance. About two hours after the final decision to allow the rotating star, the thing stood there in the bavarian sky - glowing, rotating and fully operational.
BTW: This building is located some three miles away from the main railwy station at Arnulfst. It is definitely worth a visit if you happen to be in Munich. They also have a small restaurant inside, if you do not want to pretend to be interested in buying a car, and they always have some interesting cars on display (vintage cars, prototypes, Mercedes McLaren and such)
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
âś–
Thank you. I was hoping someone would come up with a suitable picture. I have actually seen thise buildings but it was long ago and I had forgotten the building name (Euroa Center).
All I could find was variations on this:
http://www.great-cathedrals.com/images/Ged ächtnisKirche%20(4).jpg
But I also noticed that I had overlooked this: http://www.berlin.citysam.de/europa-center-fotos-berlin.htm
which is obtained by clicking on a very small photo first. (But does not show that view of the church and star.)
I agree, absolutely iconic, especially as it was so close to the Wall.
DAS
âś–

Actually, the Europa Center is not very near to the Wall. It is roughly five miles away. But it stood for the new city centre of Berlin, when the old centre was destroyed (Potsdamer Platz) or occupied (Alexanderplatz).
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
âś–
When I used to drive into Berlin on business (from Hamburg, where I was living) in the early Eighties I used to cross to the East sometimes (purely privately). I used to take great pleasure in parking my fat-capitalist-pig symbol of a car (W123 D200 Weizengelb -- have mentioned this car before in other contexts) on Marx-Engels-Platz (IIRC), a very shabby little square (what wasn't shabby??) and leave it there for the day while I did what I had to do. Among other things I used to be driven round by a friend in a Trabbie...(Trabant).
But, I always knew my car was safe.
DAS
âś–