oil for '95 S420

been through the owner's manual about a million times, can't find any weight recommendation for oil. called the local mercedes service and got 2 different answers. anyone know what the official recommendation from mercedes is? thanks

Reply to
a b

Just use Mobil 1 0W40 as Mercedes does on all their new vehicles.

Reply to
Tiger

My mechanic used Valvoline - same weight. I took the 240D in for routine transmission fluid change and brake fluid change, and he accidently drained the oil. Sooo, I got a free oil change along with the other services.

Reply to
Helen

See

;^)

Reply to
Alan

thanks to everyone for your suggestions, but it's a '95 S420, not a diesel, not a commercial truck, not an '05... I'm not going to put a synthetic oil in an engine with 130K on it that's had conventional oil in it its entire life. i just need the recommended standard oil for that engine. thanks

Reply to
a b

It doesn't matter if you put synthetic oil in regular engine that has been running conventional oil for its life. I put synthetic oil in an engine that has 201,000 miles... zero leak and the engine actually loves it better and runs alot better.

The plus of synthetic is extended drain interval... I usually run it up to

10,000 miles before draining again. This is for gas engine.

As for regular oil if you are a stickler.. 10W30 is good all around oil. Brand? Castrol or Valvoline is good.

Reply to
Tiger