outside air temp guage

I have a 2002 E320 that is showing wierd numbers in the second digit of the outside air temp indicator. Same for my inlaws 2001 E320 . Anyone out there that might have a suggestion, I would appreciate it.
Hate to have the dealer hit me for a diagnostic charge just for this. thanks
My folks had the same problem with 2001 E320. The only solution was to change out the instrument cluster. It cost about $800 to do this. It first started out with outside temp... then it kept getting worse... last time it also affected the clock and thus we changed it out.
You can try speedo shop to see how much to repair just that display. But going this way means you have to remove the cluster to send out to repair...and car will be out of service until then.
Known problem with the display. I just received notification from MBUSA that the 2000-2006 S-Class and CL-Class instrument cluster warranty is extended to 10 years with unlimited miles from the vehicle warranty start date. Unfortunately not my S-Class has the display problem. Our 2001 E-Class display is out, sagments in the display start to die one after the other. Now only 1 - 2 segments left. No clock, no temperature and no ATM gear shift position displayed.