Too weird, '96 E320 outside temp. sensor

I just got back from a trip and had my '96 E320 parked at the airport. When I started up I noticed that my outside temperature reading on the dash was missing. Got home and pulled the instrument cluster - all bulbs were good. Decided that the computer of display might be bad, but looked at the sensor on the front bumper and someone had cut the wire leading from the sensor - it was a very clean cut like diagonal cutters would make. There is enough wire left for me to splice the wires back together, but I can not find the other half of the wire that goes back to the computer or wherever.

Two questions:

  1. Why would anyone bother to do this? They did not take the sensor with them. They did try steal the MB emblem off the truck and broke it.

  1. Where does the wire from the sensor go? If I can trace it back I can run a wire between the two.

Thanks,

Don

Reply to
Don Gunn

The world is sure full of idiots!

I suspect the wire was cut in the "belief" that the sensor was a motion sensor for the alarm system. And, for good measure, the idiot yanked the wire out of the vehicle; that's why you find no stub.

Can you imagine the mentality of this moron?

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Good theory. Now I still need to find out were the other end goes to.

Reply to
Don Gunn

I own a '97 E320.

Tell me where, exactly, the sensor is and tomorrow I'll look for the wire's path.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Look at the plastic grill tat is below the front bumper on the drivers side. You will see a cylinder about the diameter of a pencil and about 3 inches long. The wire goes back through the plastic grill and to ???

Thanks,

Reply to
Don Gunn

So, the next step would have been to steal the car? Count your blessings!

Reply to
Hernando Correa