Perma-Fog on rear windshield

I've recently purchased a 1978 MB 300D, and lately I've noticed a permanent state of fogginess at the bottom of the rear windshield. The rear windshield leaks. I have ordered windshield gaskets and will be
replacing both the front and back ones soon, but was curious if I need to think about replacing the whole back windshield because water may be trapped between the glass and laminate.
Will this problem go away if I take out the windshield, let it dry out, and put it back in with a new gasket?
If not and I decide that I can live with the fog, will I need to worry about it contributing to rust around the windshield seal?
Also, am I correct in assuming that I will need to remove the windshields when I replace the gaskets?
Thanks, erik

You need to replace the glass also.

Welcome to one of Mercedes dirty little secrets.
The fogginess is delaminatin of the layers of glass and plastic. Throw the old one away and get a new good one from a scrapyard with NO fogginess whatsoever. They do exist. Be picky.
You have to remove the windscreen to replace the gasket.
Most people end up breaking the rear windscreen when removing it. Fact of life.
Left unchecked, water gets in the trunk and rots the trunk floor, which is the first place you look for rust in an old MB when inspecting it.