power antenna

My power antenna still works on my '87 Mercedes 300D, but I want to keep it working. Sometimes it won't retract fully in cold weather, and I want to lubricate it, but am not sure what to use. Is it better to use a 3-1 type
machine oil? Or WD-40? Or what? And if it doesn't retract fully, but rather leave the last 6 inches sticking out, is that bad for it?
MB and Hirschmann make a special lubricant for the antenna. I would recomend using it only. 3in1 oil and other "wet" lubricants will trap and hold dust and dirt, compunding the problem instead of helping. HTH Paul Elliot San Jose, CA
--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

"David Streb" < snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net> wrote in message
Do I have to go to the MB dealer for this item?

type
My antenna was siezed on my 87 300D when I got it, so I replaced it with a typical McParts crappie. I've found that, when compared to Silicone and other lubes, WD40 keeps me sliding longest.
When my antenna has a problem and doesn't go all the way down, I put it back up, make sure it hasn't been bent or doesn't have any big crud in there, then hit the switch for it to go down again... if it gets stuck, I give the top a little tap and that usually does the trick. I'd rather spend an extra 20 seconds than have my already ailing motor go out.
Mike

it