Power Loss 1980 240D (non-turbo)

Regards.... I'm experiencing very bad power loss on inclines, and when another car closes on me and 'drafts' in my wake. I suspect its due to fuel filters, but am curious as to how lack of back pressure due to
faulty exhaust system would affect power. Anyone have knowledge on this to share? Thanks.

I experienced this as well recently. Changed the two filters, and wow what a difference. Add some injector cleaner and then some MMO and you should be back to norm.
Don't forget Startron.
Hill climbing and hard acceleration use the most fuel and create the most exhaust so your question about exhaust restriction is a good one - any dents or pinches in the exhaust pipe?
If power loss was sudden I'd suspect bad fuel. If gradual change the fuel filters and try to clean the fuel pick-up screen inside the tank.
permission.