Rear CV/spider boot replacement

I have a tear in the left rear CV joint boot (the outer one closest to the wheel).
To replace the boot and its fluid I apparently have to pull the left rear
axle. Then pull out the axle stem (it seems to telescope)
Is this a do-it-yourself job? More specifically, can I do it without the special tool(s) that MB uses and shows in the factory workshop manual.
Love to hear from anyone who's done this job.
Gary 79 450SL
Mmm... I see a CV boot kit at bimmerparts.com for $54.... whereas the boot itself can be had for $13 each. I am wondering what type of boot it is... a whole complete boot or a split type that you don't have to remove the axle...
To take the axle out is kinda a bear... you need a good long prybar to get it out... and to get it back in? It is a matter of luck the that spline will line up... if it does, boom.. it slides in...
Thanks for the advice, Tiger. I note that the database at bimmerparts.com is exactly the same as the one you get at parts.mbz.org (Rusty). Must be a number of dealers all sharing/leasing the same parts database.

Oh... yeah... everyone (almost everyone) uses Autopak's catalog and distribution center... The only difference is the prices at all different places and different free shipping criteria.
They are basically online autoparts store that you can operate yourself too if you want. Minimal overhead.
Rusty's price is not the lowest... but close enough and he has over $75 free shipping.
I used to use Bimmerparts.com but they now have no free shipping at all...
I just saw autohausaz.com and they claim to have anything over $50 free shipping.
The thing is everyone has different prices so it is important to shop for the best overall deal.
Anyway, if you can get the split type CV joint kit, it would make the job whole lot easier... although it is not as good as the normal boot. It all depends on how long you want to keep it.
So far, all boots appear to be one piece....I haven't really seen a split boot since I stopped working on old Beetles <g>.