1996 CV Boot Replacement Question

I have a '96 Trooper w/120k on the clock and my driver's side CV boot is torn. The pass side *looks* intact. Can I have just the driver's side one replaced or do they have to be both done at the same time?

$$$ are my concern here (not enough of them...).

Thx!

Reply to
Steve

In the UK we can buy CV boots that can be fitted without removing the drive shaft, I don't know how good they are. The problem with doing the boot only is iff any grit etc. has got into the joint, try and clean it thoroughly and replace the grease with one of a similar standard. If you are just replacing the boot I do not think there there is any requirement to replace both boots at the same time, the same is true of the joints if one is OK and the other not. If one boot has split I would have thought the other boot will not be far behind and if you can replace them ecomonically it may be better to do both.

David

Reply to
David E.

I ended up having my mechanic replace both and he recommended doing the whole axle and boot and it wasn't that much more. The one that was open was dirty enough so cleaning it wasn't worth the $$$. Safer all the way around.

Thx!

Reply to
Steve