Rear Seating Space Convertibles

Page 2 of 2

Okay, maybe you are ready to buy my personal dream car, a Mercedes W118.5 convertible offered by small german manufacturer Autoschmiede (http://www.autoschmiede.com /). They rebuild old 280 SE convertibles, using Mercedes 560 SEL powertrains, refined aircondition, new refurbished seats and other wonderful details. With the exception of a slightly wider track of the axles you cannot spot the difference from outsides. Price is approximately the same as a 600 CL with a nice set of features. And running cost should be comparable to an ordinary S-class.
Frank

haute in die Tasten:

using
running
What do you know about the legality of importing one to California in the United States? Have you actually gotten a price quote in United States dollars? Very attractive automobile. And if it is fully restored it might be exactly what I was thinking of.
Larry

Sorry, I have no idea, as I am located in Germany. From what I have read the price for a fully restored convertible starts at approx. 120.000$ (taken the price from Germany). I would suggest sending an e-mail, they will for sure know the answer.
Frank

haute in die Tasten:

the
Will do. Thanks. or Danke.
They shouldn't have trouble importing the W118.5 convertible to the USA as the chassis is more than 25 years old. Any vehicles that are 25-year-old or older are exempted from US DOT safety regulations. However, it must meet EPA regulations for the year of its manufacture.
That is how lot of people sneaked in the new Land Rover Defender TDi, Mini (original, not BMW, version), Citron 2CV, and so forth, with the VIN swap. The US Customs don't really check the vehicles very closely.
Oliver