removing gear knob & surround on C250 1998

Any advice on how to remove the above.

It's an auto and I've got something stuck in the "curtain" that protects the under console space around the gear selector.

I've managed to get the wood surround off but can't get it past the gearknob.

All help appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul J S Green

Greetings from Virginia, USA, near Washington DC.

I removed the knob from our c280 by removing the plastic logo on top of the knob (it will snap back into place). Remove the nut underneath. The knob itself is a two-piece affair, separated by a fine seam about a third of the way up from the bottom. Grasp the bottom and top, and twist in opposite directions- the knob should then lift off the stem.

Hope this works on your model!

Reply to
CycleZen

Sorry that didn't work out for you- I know it's infuriating not being able to figure it out. I sat there twisting, turning, pushing and pulling, and finally gave up in disgust. My wife figured it out shortly afterward.

Reply to
CycleZen

Twist the plastic part at the bottom of the gear knob, it should turn about 1/2 turn then you can simply pull the gear knob upwards and off the shaft.

I haven't forgotten your heater control unit either, bear with me....

Reply to
miknik

No worries - Thanks - hot today....

Even in Scotland!