Gear knob on 406

OK, here's one that is probably fiendishly easy, but it doesn't tell me how to do it in my Haynes manual: how does one remove the gearknob from a 406? I've read that it's just pushed on, but I'm sceptical: I'm no weakling and I can't get it to budge an inch. I also know it's not screwed on, so: am I wrong and I AM a weakling, or is there another method?

Thanks all,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve.C

I've changed a fair few of these, and I've found if you put your legs either side of the centre console, grip the knob, stand as much as possible, twist the knob no more than 45 degrees, and pull HARD, it'll come off, BUT beware of contact with your "bits"! (You only do that ONCE!!!) To replace just slip it on the lever and bang it with the flat of your hand a couple of times.

Reply to
Nigel

Thanks bud - I finally got my back into it and got it off. There's a plastic sleeve underneath the knob - is this glued to the gear lever and I have to chip it off, or is there another way to whip it off without destroying it?

Thank you!! :>

Steve.

Reply to
Steve.C

NOOOOO. Don't remove that or the new knob would be very floppy!!!! Just put the knob on the sleeve in the right position, and hit with the palm of your hand till it's in place.

Reply to
Nigel