Replacing leaking water pump '89 300E

Hi All, Mr Lambach (sp?) about a year ago wrote an absolutely wonderful article on how to replace a waterpump. I intended to follow this but noticed
that he may have been referring to a vehicle other than the 300E since in his case the pump appeared to have been behind the engine cooling fan. I notice that on my '89 300E the water pump is off to the right hand side (looking from front). The job appears to be straight forward after I losen the serpentine belt it appears the pump can be just unbolted. While I try to do this, is there anything I should watch out for so as not to get any nasty suprises? Am I wrong that I don't need to remove the cooling fan? Many thanks for any help/pointers
- cheers, guenter
You definitely need to remove the engine cooling fan to get it out... Easier job would be to remove the radiator so you can get to the cooling fan nut and easily remove the waterpump.
Thanks for the pointer, much appreciated. Seems I should budget a full day for this job..... tempted to let the shop do it, but they want over CDN $500 plus another CDN$ 250 for the pump :-((
cheers