reprogramming a smart key (lost)

well, it didn't take very long. just two weeks into owning my 2000 E320 wagon I've managed to lose the smart key. Before I go the official (and I understand expensive) MB
route for a replacement (new blank plus programming), I have to ask whether it is actually possible to get MB to reprogramme a smart key from another mercedes to work on mine.
I know I'll lose this key more than once and so if I can pickup a few keys on ebay for $25 each or so and have them reprogrammed, why not save a couple of hundred bucks.
Though why was time and money if it can't be done? Does anyone know if this is feasible or if it is just a scam to sell useless found keys?
many thanks
Peter
well, as there has been no response here, I will answer my own question for the benefit of others. having polled a dozen ebay smart key purchasers, at least one has replied reporting that he was told by Mercedes that a once-programmed key cannot be reprogrammed. if other pollees report I will pass along their experience.