Shifter light on 560SL

First time out at night, I realized there was no light on the gear shift positions. I assume there are lamps under there somewhere, Anyone know how to get at them?

Reply to
Bill Bunn

Yes, Its not too bad. First remove the ash tray

  1. Remove the frame of the ash tray by removing the two screws in behind where the receptacle resides when closed (back).
  2. Remove two screws from the wood bezel underneath th ash tray frame, in the front edge of the wood bezel.
  3. gentle lift the wood slowly from the front until resistance is felt.
  4. finesse the mirror switch up, out of its recess.
  5. slide the wood trim back toward the rear of the car to disengage 2 prongs mounted on the trailing edge of the wood and fitting in two holes in the console body
  6. lift up and away... light id found beneath the wood bezel. very easy to remove from its hsng and replace.

be aware... if you lift too much prematurely, you can break the wood trim or the prongs which anchor the trailing edge. Also, you cannot slide the wood trim back to disengage the prongs without lifting out the mirror switch.

Good luck.

Walrus

1986 560SL

Reply to