Shopping for '97 E420 to buy....

Hi All,

My wife and I (mostly me) are shopping for an E420 and '97 seems to be in my price/budget range.

Are there any know problem areas for this model / V8 engine car?

The car I've test driven had 121,000 miles and owner asking for $15000 but says will consider less. The car looks to be in great condition to me. One local, long-time owner before this owner bought car earlier this year. The A/C was repaired by current owner. I spotted some oil/grime residue on the forward ends of valve cover areas (not sure what I'm looking at here) and owner will have investigated by his mechanic.

I'm just hoping to benefit from the newsgroups collective wisdom and knowledge ... if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Ella & Hez Bolton, Pacific NW snipped-for-privacy@teleport.com

Reply to
Hez Bolton

Um, check Kelley Blue Book values.... I drive a 1997 E420, which just passed

90,000 miles yesterday. All the dealers I've had look at it will give me no more than $10K to $12K for it. My car has been treated like a show car since it was new -- always garaged, fully detailed (waxed with Zaino) 6-8 times a year, washed weekly by hand (never been through an automatic wash). Never smoked in, and the back seat has likely been used less than ten times in the life of the car. I have been using Mobil 1 oil since 20K miles. The car you're looking at has more than 30,000 *more* miles on it, and he's asking almost $5K more. I think the car he's selling would be a good deal at $10K or less, but certainly not more than $12K.

Randy

Reply to
Randy S

Hi, I just recently bought from E-bay E420 for $12302 with 100490 miles. I am very happy with it. Before I paid to seller, I took car to MB dealer and they did free of charge a brief inspection. MB dealer found that there was minor leak on rear differential. But seller fix for me this issue by changing the gaskat. So Please don't pay more then $11500 for your car. If you see some oil then take it to get inspection done at MB or other German auto shop.

Thanks - Hasan Adam

Reply to
Hasan Adam