Smart crash videos

Page 1 of 2
I still wouldn't trust one but know a couple of you are ardent fans!
Enjoy ;-)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docidf05730767077503480&q=smart+crash

Impressive. Have test-driven one, though not into a concrete barrier.
DAS
"Nutz4Benz" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
You will get a real kick out of this one.56k users,it's worth the wait ;-) Not a crash video,but a tweaked out Smart doing serious burnouts (well for a Smart that is)
http://coolmike.no.sapo.pt/smartmedia.wmv
He is certainly hammering his axles and tyres.
For really impressive car dancing one should go to the MPH show. Went for first time last November. Extraordinary.
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/events/2005/mph-05/mph-video-footage.html
Where are you based?
DAS
"Nutz4Benz" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
I'd stay away from WMV files for the next week or so....

Wow, that's a solid little car, seems much safer than I thought, thought it does seem sold when driving it.
cp

REALLY worth watching, especially for those doubting the smarts safety attributes.
cp

Only problem I seeis that there are no devices inside the vehicle to see if an occupant would survive, not just the passenger cage.

That is irrelevant. If the cage survived then the occupant would have the same chance of surviving as in any other vehicle, if there's internal air bags of course.
cp

Ridiculously wrong. Of course Crash test dummies are used for a reason, and there a lot small flying bits that can easily kill you. Or even small bumps in the interior of the passenger compartment.
Marty

Not at all.

The aim of the test is to see if the cage survives. Of course there could be tidbits that could kill you but overall if you're in the cage and it survives it won't matter what car. I'da thought that the cage in the smart wouldn't survive.
cp

The aim of that test was to demonstrate what happens when you hit a concrete barrier at 70 miles per hour - it was done by a UK TV company for TV, not scientific purposes. They also crashed a Corsa (Opel / Vauxhall) which was completely wrecked.
I remember them saying afterwards that the chances of survival in either car were slim due to the forces involved.
--
Cocker Spaniel Pups for Sale - ready now - one black dog left

Yes, I know, the show is Top Gear/Fifth Gear with Tiff Needell.
cp

That is soooo wrong that there is no way of telling you how wrong that is!! Having been an automotive test engineer for nearly 20 years and having done crash tests just like that and development of safety restraints, I can tell you that the g level alone of a crash like that would likely kill you. If not, you would still be in the hospital for a very, very loooong time. Just because the car structure survives does not ensure that the occupants will. That hurt just watching it. But very interesting!!!
Davehd
Dave HD wrote:

This comment does bring back memories of another very sad crash involving a Benz and concrete (with a certain princess inside) where at least 1 passenger (properly restrained) did survive.
Are you saying the decceleration curve is too steep for a car like the smart? i.e. big crumple zones on big cars make for "gentler" crashes?
Regards, WS

I don't know what the decel curve for the Smart is without the data, but I know that for sure I would not want to be in that car! The commentator says that the crash took one second. I would bet that the ride-down was more like <200 milliseconds judging from the airbag deployment which, for a driver's side, is around 60 to 100 ms. Yes, larger crumple zones can help. But that is also no guarantee. I have seen a lot of vehicles that have a lot of structure out front but it collapses too easily causing lower leg injuries to the 1st row occupants. The femur loads go off the chart and indicate that there would have been some serious leg injuries. The factors that drive survivability largely depend on the conditions at the time of the crash and where the occupant is in relation to that impact - and as you said - how they were restrained.
There is virtually NO crush zone on the front of the Smart and the only thing that survives is a VERY HARD cage which is evidenced by the operability of the doors - i.e. - no passenger compartment deformation (it's built like a blinking tank!!). Look into the structure of racing cars. I think that the Indy style cars had the same problem, despite the cages designed into the vehicle drivers were getting serious injuries, until they redesigned the nose cone to better absorb the impact. You must use up the kinetic energy in such a way that it doesn't exceed the human body's tolerance for g force's. If you go over that limit, people start having closed head injuries, internal bleeding from torn arteries, detached organs, etc., because they were decelerated too quickly. Back in the early days of automobiles they made the structures very stiff under the assumption that they would be safer. The cars came out of crashes looking pretty good, but the people inside got pretty beaten up, thus the redesign to crush zones.
Davehd
Dave HD wrote:

Great and fascinating comments from both Dave and WS. They bring back good memories of those early days when crush zones and airbags were being developed to save lives.
Hernando
Dave HD wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more, Dave. You stated: "Having been an automotive test engineer for nearly 20 years..."
I worked for one of the Big 3 car companies for several years TESTING safety restraints in simulated crashes and reenactments of real world accidents. Remember the HIC? I'm sure that your engineering and my testing contributed to the manufacture of safer vehicles.
Hernando

I sure hope so Hernando!!! Yeah, I remember the Head Injury Criteria. Fairly primitive by today's standards but still in use with some updates and so much more is required. Now the ATD's are sooo much better instrumented. They have SID's, EuroSID, etc. dummies. I also did work in product liability crash testing/reenactments.
Davehd

I didn't finish what I was writing. After having read all your posts there's nothing I disagree with and nothing I didn't know before I read your posts. The cage has to survive to protect the occupant and either the car or occupant has to absorb the deceleration, preferably the car.
cp