Smart crash videos

I still wouldn't trust one but know a couple of you are ardent fans!

Enjoy ;-)

Nutz4Benz

Impressive. Have test-driven one, though not into a concrete barrier.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

You will get a real kick out of this one.56k users,it's worth the wait ;-) Not a crash video,but a tweaked out Smart doing serious burnouts (well for a Smart that is)

Nutz4Benz

He is certainly hammering his axles and tyres.

For really impressive car dancing one should go to the MPH show. Went for first time last November. Extraordinary.

Where are you based?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Wow, that's a solid little car, seems much safer than I thought, thought it does seem sold when driving it.

cp

Reply to
cp

I'd stay away from WMV files for the next week or so....

Reply to
cp

REALLY worth watching, especially for those doubting the smarts safety attributes.

cp

Reply to
cp

Only problem I seeis that there are no devices inside the vehicle to see if an occupant would survive, not just the passenger cage.

Reply to
Thom

That is irrelevant. If the cage survived then the occupant would have the same chance of surviving as in any other vehicle, if there's internal air bags of course.

cp

Reply to
cp

Ridiculously wrong. Of course Crash test dummies are used for a reason, and there a lot small flying bits that can easily kill you. Or even small bumps in the interior of the passenger compartment.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Not at all.

flying bits that can easily kill you. Or even small

The aim of the test is to see if the cage survives. Of course there could be tidbits that could kill you but overall if you're in the cage and it survives it won't matter what car. I'da thought that the cage in the smart wouldn't survive.

cp

Reply to
cp

The aim of that test was to demonstrate what happens when you hit a concrete barrier at 70 miles per hour - it was done by a UK TV company for TV, not scientific purposes. They also crashed a Corsa (Opel / Vauxhall) which was completely wrecked.

I remember them saying afterwards that the chances of survival in either car were slim due to the forces involved.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That is soooo wrong that there is no way of telling you how wrong that is!! Having been an automotive test engineer for nearly 20 years and having done crash tests just like that and development of safety restraints, I can tell you that the g level alone of a crash like that would likely kill you. If not, you would still be in the hospital for a very, very loooong time. Just because the car structure survives does not ensure that the occupants will. That hurt just watching it. But very interesting!!!

Davehd

Reply to
Dave HD

This comment does bring back memories of another very sad crash involving a Benz and concrete (with a certain princess inside) where at least 1 passenger (properly restrained) did survive.

Are you saying the decceleration curve is too steep for a car like the smart? i.e. big crumple zones on big cars make for "gentler" crashes?

Regards, WS

Reply to
ws

I don't know what the decel curve for the Smart is without the data, but I know that for sure I would not want to be in that car! The commentator says that the crash took one second. I would bet that the ride-down was more like

Reply to
Dave HD

I couldn't agree with you more, Dave. You stated: "Having been an automotive test engineer for nearly 20 years..."

I worked for one of the Big 3 car companies for several years TESTING safety restraints in simulated crashes and reenactments of real world accidents. Remember the HIC? I'm sure that your engineering and my testing contributed to the manufacture of safer vehicles.

Hernando

Reply to
Hernando Correa

Great and fascinating comments from both Dave and WS. They bring back good memories of those early days when crush zones and airbags were being developed to save lives.

Hernando

Reply to
Hernando Correa

I sure hope so Hernando!!! Yeah, I remember the Head Injury Criteria. Fairly primitive by today's standards but still in use with some updates and so much more is required. Now the ATD's are sooo much better instrumented. They have SID's, EuroSID, etc. dummies. I also did work in product liability crash testing/reenactments.

Davehd

Reply to
Dave HD

barrier at 70 miles per hour - it was done by a UK TV

Yes, I know, the show is Top Gear/Fifth Gear with Tiff Needell.

cp

Reply to
cp

Having been an automotive test engineer for nearly 20

restraints, I can tell you that the g level alone of a

hospital for a very, very loooong time. Just because

just watching it. But very interesting!!!

I didn't finish what I was writing. After having read all your posts there's nothing I disagree with and nothing I didn't know before I read your posts. The cage has to survive to protect the occupant and either the car or occupant has to absorb the deceleration, preferably the car.

cp

Reply to
cp