Slightly OT but I trust you guys...

OK So i wasnt sure where to ask, other than the DVLA, so I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has experience.

I passed my test JUST after the changeover where automatic E entitlement on the license was removed. I am used to towing, ive done a fair bit and it "comes naturally" to me. However I have a new dilemma. I now wish to use our large 4x4 to tow a hefty trailer (combined weight of about 4000Kg). Ive been close to this before, and im very cautious but since I am not licensed for it I wont tow it until i have the required license. BUT I cant seem to find anywhere where/how i can add the entitlement to my license - even the DVLA website says to write for more info - no wonder people just drive anyway and risk it.

So, assuming I'm fairly competent with a trailer, can reverse it fine etc, what is involved with getting E entitlement added? You get E provisional automatically, but theres no info about what that means, can i drive with an E class vehicle if in the presence of an E qualified driver? Can he teach me, and who do I go to for a test?!

Cheers all!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

You have to take a new driving test for that group

Reply to
steve robinson

steve robinson proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

Kinda gathered that but where/how/what is involved?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Willy Eckerslyke

Have you tried asking the DSA? Get to it via motoring under direct.gov.uk

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Same as a HGV Artic test which is actually a Cat E test.

First part of the test is done at a HGV test centre. You have to go through coupling and uncoupling a trailer. You have to then perform a reversing manouvre which basically involves reversing in a S shape, avoiding going over a painted line on the drivers side which simulates a kerb, avoiding a cone placed mid point in the manouvre on the passenger side, eventually stopping in a marked out box. You are allowed a couple of shunts to straighten up before reversing into the box.

Once you've completed this, you'll be taken to another area where you perform a controlled stop. THATS A CONTROLLED STOP AND NOT AN EMERGENCY STOP as there is no such thing in a Cat E test. You can actually fail for stopping too short.

Once you've completed those, you will be taken out for a road test the same as a normal car test although you'll have to remember to stick to the limits for a towing vehicle.

Reply to
Conor

Conor proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

Thanks Conor, that was the kind of info I was looking for :) Sounds easy enough, though I'm sure when you try it its harder than it sounds! I'll look into it further, cheers!

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Clive George proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

Not directly, I'm awaiting an email back - I was just checking with this place as there is a wealth of knowledge here on most subjects!

Coyoteboy

Willy Eckerslyke proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

Good link, ta.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

If you go for lessons, they'll teach you to do the reverse manouvre parrot fashion.

If you decide not to, basically you pull up near to the cone on the NSF corner. As soon as you start reversing, put full right lock on. When the trailer has started to turn, reduce the lock making sure you don't cross the white line to the right. You'll reverse past the cone and then it's a little left lock to steer it towards the box.

Not sure about the caravan test but on a HGV artic test, you had to stop the rear of the trailer in the middle of a hatched box. Driver training schools used to cheat by putting some white tape on the rear mudflap which, when it lined up with the front of the box when looking in the rearview mirror, told you the rear of the trailer was where it needed to be.

Reply to
Conor

The reversing depends very much on what you are actually taking the test with. Oddly enough, the longer the trailer the easier it is to reverse (up to a point anyway) - short trailers change direction and go off-line so quickly. Reminds me of my old caravan manoevring competition days!

Reply to
Asahartz

Yeah, it's the exact same test as an artic test. Rear of the trailer has to stop in the yellow box, and the cones are positioned depending on the size of the vehicle/trailer.

Reply to
moray

moray proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

:) Cheers for the added info. I feel a little more "armed" when considering it now! I could do with doing this so I can help out as currently the only person in the family that can/will tow is my father.

Muchos grassy ass :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Normal rules then. Go and find a big empty space & screw it up a few times. Stop before you screw up the rear bumper & go forwards.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Duncan Wood proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

I've reversed a 24ft boat and trailer down a single track country lane with passing places to let a caravan pass, but under test conditions I can see it going to pot :)

Reply to
Coyoteboy

All these tests seem like a bit of pain. If you wanted to be able to drive pretty much anything, would an Artic test do it? I only ask because I have a recent license and would like to be able to tow big trailers as well as drive lorrys.

Thanks

Reply to
Robert

And remove your lighting board before starting to practice!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

It depends on how many tests you want to do. If you do a B+E, then that's all you can drive. However, if you do a C+E test or D+E test, then you automatically get the B+E license, however before you can do the +E test, you've got to do the C or D test. You can't just go straight for the C+E test now.

And given the current cost of the relevant courses, unless you really need a LGV, or PCV license, is it worth it?

Reply to
moray

In all honesty, it would probably be best contacting some of the local HGV/PCV driving schools, as that's who I done mine through. The one I used, assesed me for free, and recommended how many days training I'd need. Think I had one full day, then another with the test after lunch.

The hardest part is the reversing exercise. It's at the start, so if you stuff up getting the back of the trailer in the box, then you've already failed! I'm sure there'll be a site somewhere that shows the dimensions for how they layout the area for doing the reversing exercise.

Reply to
moray

Hmmm, dunno if it's just me but when I towed for the first time I just jumped in and did it. No problems reversing or anything.

Reply to
adder1969