starter NOT disengaging

190E 2.0l
-turn the key -vvr sounds for 1 second then the entire thing just stops -do this 20-30 times eventually engine turns over and car starts. -it only started when the temperature dropped here to -3C coincidence?
It sounds like the starter motor is not disconnecting from the starter ring. Is there an easy fix for this ?
thanks a. edinburgh
The starter selenoid is not working... the selenoid's job is to thrust the pin outward so it can engage that starter ring. It is a pain to get the starter out so just replace it.
I guess an entire series of events are happening. is my car toast? 190E 2.0l
thanks a. edinburgh

Blown head gasket. Don't continue to drive, or you will replace the whole engine instead of the head gasket.
iNet wrote:

going to bin the entire car. too much moola for head gas. over in the uk 300+ quid to do. only paid 500 for the car 6 months ago. toobad otherwise its a good motor.
a. edinburgh ps: thanks for all your help.
You're junking a 190 over the equivalent of less than 600 USD? Seems like a waste and a shame to me. Richard

This is your head gasket...
The previous problem was also caused my this... Your coolant was leaking into the cylinder bore, so that the liquid couldn't be compressed by the starter motor...
After 20 or thirty cranks the coolant had been forced out, and hence the car could start...
The good news? Your starter is ok :~)
Marty