Swap A/T on 240D to 5-speed manual

Hello All,
Have just purchased a 83 240D w/auto trans that has shifting probs. Will change filter and fluid as others have been advised. Also checking vacuum lines. My hope is to find a compatible manual 5-spd
and advice on procedure to make the swap. Will get it on the road shortly but have a regular trip through the low but hard to climb Catskill Mountains. Im sure somebody can tell me which way to look or possibly a better solution. Again thanks for everyones time. rth