That STUPID 300D Hood Star

I'm trying to replace a missing '77 300D (W123) hood star. I got one, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to install it. Are there any diagrams anywhere on the net? I bought one of those manuals on CD
but it's rather incomplete.

If the old one is still in place, use a plier and turn the two metal springs until it line up with the hole to remove.
Once the new one is put in... turn the two metal thing around to lock it in place.
Sounds like you are replacing with the old design star. Did you know that there is a replacement model that just slips into a sleeve that is mounted to the hood? They are handy because if you are parking somewhere where you are concerned the star might "disappear" you can just slide it out and put it in the car until you return.
I have had this type for many years and like how easy they are to replace. Once a girlfriend of mine was energetically helping sweep a 60 cm deep layer of snow off the hood in the parking lot at Crystal Mountain near Seattle and snapped off the star. We didn't even notice it until later. That is the only time I have had to replace it.
You can get those at the parts department at Mecedes.

I am replacing an old design. But I'm hoping someone has a diagram they can reproduce to show exactly how it works.....

If you just spin the V bracket, you will understand how it work... once the V bracket goes past the release zone, the spring will pull the V bracket toward the base and that is how it is mounted.