rear axle half shaft question

1984 Mercedes 500 SEL Euro. The wheel hub on one of the rear wheels has stripped lug bolt threads. I want to replace this part now, but I dont know how to remove it. I know that there is a bolt in the center, and I have removed it and tried as hard as possible to pull it out, but no luck. Is there something that Im missing? Any help or advice would be great. Thanks alot.
Reply to
Rick

Yep... there is also a large nut on the back that required a special socket to remove along with removal of the half shaft.

Reply to
Tiger

Any idea where I could get more info on this and that special socket?

Reply to
Rick

You will need to replace the rear wheel bearings....

Not a do-it-in-your-driveway repair.

The 13mm bolt you removed from the center only holds the axle shaft in.

The special tools and a press are needed.

Here is the tool for the inner nut:

I cannot find anyone offering the hub holding tool.

Go here:

enter K8020-29480 in the search box for the rear bearing kit.

Reply to
Karl

The wheel hub is very difficult to replace (as explained by Karl). Try to replace it WITH the carrier instead. That is, the hub, bearing, and the housing all together. Find a good used one from a recycler.

It is still lots of steps to do, but work> 1984 Mercedes 500 SEL Euro. The wheel hub on one of the rear wheels

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan