Voltage regulator in 280 SE

Hi all,
I have recently aquired a 1979 280 SE, and the alternator light is comming on. Does anybody know if the voltage regulator is inside the alternator, or
located somewhere else?
How about where I could get a replacement?
Regards,
Gord
The voltage regulator is inside the alternator on that one, check your belts also. Jim www.benzbay.com

His 280SE is a 79, therefore a 126 chassis which has the regulator bolted to the back of the alternator.
The two generations-prior 108 chassis 280SE had a different regulator.
Wow, thanks very much for your replies Richard and Jim. I'll try replacing the brushes.
Best regards,
Gord

Uhh,that 280SE is not a W116 ?

The regulator is a small plastic thingamabob that's holted on the back of the regulator. It comes off by loosening two 10mm nuts. Once it's off (you CAN get it by lying under the front of the car without jacking it up) you'll probably notice one or more of the carbon brushes is buggered. Those brushes can be had for $20 any any starter/alternator place; remove the old ones, crimp and install the new ones, out it back on and you've now effected a reapair some people pay $700 for, which is what a new alternator at the dealer costs.
Apparanly all the brushes are the same. THe starter/alternator place here didn't even ask, just "starter brushes for a German car" is all they needed to know.
There's pics of this here:
http://electric.articles.mbz.org/regulator /
If you don't know your way around a soldering iron the regulator is about $18 or something. (see links below)
On 2005-05-18 06:56:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@vrx.news (Richard Sexton) said:

You need a proof reader. Or you need to stop drinking all that coffee...