W124 300 Td Turbo 1991 Aut. transm.

I am the happy owner of this car. The clock says 300k km (187K miles) and everithing is fine, but now the gaerbox makes trouble.
When acc. very slowly, the box makes fine shifts.
When acc.. very hard , the box makes fine shifts. When acc.normal the shift from 1 to 2 gear is fine but the shift between 2 and 3, and 3 and 4 gear is not so good. It is like the box is gliding, and motor speeds up for a moment.
Last Year the transmission-olie was changed, and the pressure in the box was raised a little.
To day I taked with a mecanic, and he told me, that he had to take the gearbox out, and change a lot of the inside. He also told me that at that milage is is noraml to make a rapair of a aut.transmissionbox. Price 1500-2000 dollar.
The level of the oil in the box is fine, and is fine red. It smelles a little bit, but not much.
HELP !!
Regards Heine Holten Denmark.
PS sorry my english is bad, but I dont thinke anyone in here understand danish ;-)
Your car's transmission is "flaring" - allowing the engine to race between shifts. This happens because the next higher gear isn't being engaged quickly enough, probably because of worn parts.
You may be able to postpone the inevitable overhaul by changing the transmission fluid and its filter. Also have the torque converter drained. This isn't a "repair" but it may get some more kms out of this box.
You may also investigate on the internet the cost of a factory rebuilt transmission - either from M-B or an independent. Or is that what your mechanic is quoting?
Your english is fine, I hope this helps you.

How can the torqe converter be drained ? is that easy or expensive ;-) Normally I think he only take off the buttom af the gearbox, and change the oil and filter in this part.

Yes he told me, that the price would be the same.
What happends if nothing is done, can I do more damage to the box by driving ? Except for the little "flaring" everything works fine.
I think the problem started a month ago, I had the car at a Bosch-testcenter to have the fuelpump- and turbopressure checked. I know he runs the car on a (dont know the english word) mashine in the building. I know that the car had over 50 km on the clock, as before I gave it to him. Can the transmissionfluid has become to warm, because I dont think that there are windcooling to the gearbox under this proces ?

Thank You ;-)
Regards
Heine Holten Denmark
The torque converter has a drain plug. One needs to turn the engine until the plug is at the bottom of the torque converter's rotation. The transmission's pump refills the torque converted. Draining the torque converter usually is not done but in this case it would be advisable, IMHO.
In light of the problem occurring after the car was run on a dynamometer changing the, now perhaps burnt, transmission fluid moves up in priority, IMHO.
Doing nothing is an alternative, but the problem will get worse over time.

Just a remark. Normally the transmission of your car will start in 2-nd gear. Isn't it?
I have the same model on 270K km and you make me a little worried.

2
and
Yes it starts in 2-nd gear, but if I "klamp" the pedal it starts in first gear.

Me too, I hoped to run 4-500.000 km before paying anything on motor and gearbox ;-(( At 300.000 km (a month ago) I had to pay a lot of $ to have a new cylinderheadgasket and the cylinderhead maked ;-(
But a nice car anyway ;-)
regards
Heine Holten Denmark

By taking the risk to say something that you might know already, I have to suggest you never to stop the engine immediately after driving at high speed! First, leave the engine to idle minute or more, and then stop it! Usually this keeps the head and head gasket damages as well as turbocharger damages away.

Absolutely :-)
Best regards, Dimi Germany
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:14:55 +0100, Holten wrote:

Heine,
I'm looking at some problems with my 81 300D turbo transmission, and I came across this page:
http://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic20242.html
It may help - hope so, for both our sakes ;-)
Cheers,
Conrad