Where the taxis go 125 mph .......

Page 3 of 4
Hmmm . . . whatever. I got dragged from 81st and 8th to the west village in New York City at around 115 MPH in a Chevy Caprice once. As I recall the fare was only a few dollars, and I felt to no compunction
to leave a tip.
Add pictures here
βœ–

What's impressive about 200kph? Toyota Corollas will do that.
200kph on the autobahn is only impressive if you're in three lanes of bumper to bumper traffic and everyone else is doing 200kph, or around there. Just have to watch out for non-euro tourists, from my experience.

Till it crashes at that speed. To survive a crash at that speed requires mostly luck.

I'm embarrassed to use credit cards around Europeans, they might think I'm poor, and by their standards I would be, being a typical debt laden north american.
The standard of living in the US AND Canada (we're NO better) would be akin to eastern Europe if the typical person's credit card was taken away.
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------020302000804070508070807 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Hallo, since i am from Germany and live actually only 70 miles from Frankfurt am Main (be aware that there are sveral Frankfurts in Germany) I drive normally speeds between 60 and 100 Miles per hour on the Autobahn which is much more comfortable with the normaly more or less grouded streets. On more and more Autobahns there are speedlimits between 60 and 80 miles/hour (100-130km/h). Even when there is no speedlimit there is a so called Richtgeschwindigkeit of 130km/h wich means if something bad happens above this speed and you are innocennt of the accident, then you will be punished regardless because you drove to fast, even technically when it is allowed to drive so fast as you like.
To the use of creditcards in Germany: the usage of creditcards in Germany is increasing. But the usage of creditcards is still reseved for high pricing goods, better restaurants and gasstations. There are several reasons for not using creditcards for Germans: 1. there are no real creditcards in Germany. We have debitcards which are only labeled creditcards.This means on the end of the month we pay the full debt of the card .There is no higher creditlimit involved which can be dragged into the next month. We have socalled Girokonto or Kontokorrentkontos for the purpose of getting shorttime credit. 2.Creditcards tend to have expensive yearly costs.
So only people who travel in foreign countrys have creditcards. I have two.One Mastercard from my housebank and a Visacard from Mercedes which has no yearly costs.
But don΄t worry most Germans know the different payingcustom of our overseaguests and nobody things you are poor because you have no cash.
Greetings Max
cp schrieb:

--------------020302000804070508070807 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
200kph on the autobahn is only impressive if you're in three lanes of bumper to bumper traffic and everyone else is doing 200kph, or around there. Just have to watch out for non-euro tourists, from my experience.
The standard of living in the US AND Canada (we're NO better) would be akin to eastern Europe if the typical person's credit card was taken away.
cp
--------------020302000804070508070807--
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, the other one, on the Oder, seems to be shaping up "nicely" from its commie past.

I bet in 10 years 130km/h will be the maximun allowed. This has to be done gradually of course. Just like gun control here in Canada.

=)
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
cp wrote:

I don't know, in the rest of Europe maximum speeds have been a reality for a very long time. I believe Holland started a maximum speed in the seventies or so. Actually, some years back the maximum was put up from 100 to 120 Kph. The Germans have *never* faltered and have always kept their no-limits policy. I don't see many left wing governments in the near future either..
Ximinez
βœ–

Well, it's creeping in. Left wing or not, they'll bring it in slowly. On some of the old two lane highways it makes sense, maybe they'll leave the big ones alone.
cp
Add pictures here
βœ–
So what's changed since I was there in the early nineties? Now that Poland is in the EU it does not even have a role as a classic border town?
Well, I suppose some of the EUR 75 billion the government still coughs up every year for the eastern bits of the country must have landed on the Oder...
DAS
"cp" < snipped-for-privacy@asdf.com> wrote in message
βœ–
cp wrote:

That's what I think, too.

I don't think so, we already have a _Richtgeschwindigkeit_ (= max. recommended speed) of 130 km/h which one day will become a maximum allowed speed.
Juergen
Add pictures here
βœ–
cp wrote:

Here in Germany (population 82 mio) circa 3 mio people are insolvent (have a personal debt which is too high to be able to pay it back ever)

Don't overestimate the financial situation in Europe (even in countries like Germany,France etc.) as many people do drive cars which are too expensive for them; but as for many a car is an extremely important symbol/statement they do spend too much money for cars in relation to their income.
Juergen
Add pictures here
βœ–
Like me and my CLK Cab...
DAS
"Juergen ." < snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...
βœ–
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

Dori, there is things I simply do NOT believe!
Juergen

βœ–
All right... to clarify...
The car was/is important because I always wanted a cabrio (not a status symbol) and any dreams of an SLK had to given up when a family came along. Then I decided that before I get too old I would scrape together the cash and bank loan to buy the car. It was a window of opportunity. And my age at the time (50) is shown on my number plate...
Given that I do about 5000 miles (8K km) or less per year I certainly don't need such a car and it sits expensively in the garage for days and weeks at a time.
Surprisingly, I still have it after nearly 5 years. I thought I would get tired of the restricted space compared even to our 190E and sell it after maybe three years but...
DAS
"Juergen ." < snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...
βœ–
Quite a nice article, even if it contains some errors.
For a start a Kneipe is bar/pub in general, not just an apple-wine-boozer.
I rather like Frankfurt but, I suppose, that's caused by my having some personal connections.
DAS
βœ–
greek_philosophizer wrote:

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?view ήTAILS&grid=&xml=/global/2006/01/31/expat12.xml
That is old-school thinking, times have changed and especially young people have high debts (in relation to their income), 1000 Euros debt or more just with cell phone companies is not uncommon - an often fatal first step into personal insolvency (ca. 3 mio Germans are personally insolvent).

The Eurocheque system is history since December 31st 2001 - twothousandONE!

Normally the accepted credit cards are marked with signs at the entry door.

A famous type of sausages is called _Frankfurter_.

As Dori already mentioned, a _Kneipe_ is a collective term for pub (or tavern), a wine house is special kind of a _Kneipe_.

It's a bit _faceless_ to non-Frankfurters with all the sky scrapers (or what we in Germany call sky scrapers).

Are we really???

No, that is not correct - there is no law stating that as a German you have to carry your ID-card (Personalausweis) with you in Germany. The law says you have to have one if you are older than 16 years and that you have to be able to present it to all the authorities which are authorized to check your identity (German text here http://bundesrecht.juris.de/persauswg/BJNR008070950BJNE000107320.html )
Juergen
Add pictures here
βœ–
That explains why my bank in London withdrew Eurocheques some years ago.
I thought the withdrawal was a British thing only, especially as they were slow to introduce the Eurocheque concept in the first place and many places here remained ignorant of the system. At that time I used only blank Eurocheque forms and, for example, a couple of financial institutions kept telling me there was an extra-lengthy and expensive procedure for crediting them to my account.
This was, as the Americans say, baloney. Eurocheques used in one's own country were regular cheques (just on different pieces of paper).
Anyway, I guess the spead of credit cards and cash machines rendered the Eurocheque system almost redundant.
Skyscrapers (Wolkenkratzer) are skyscrapers in English, too (one word, as in German!).
Juergen, have you been on another 'holiday'?
DAS
"Juergen ." < snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com...
βœ–
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

There were some differences like - special design, identical for all countries - no pre-printed currency, currency had to be filled out - gave some _very_ surprised looks from cashiers when I filled in DKR 300 (Danish Crowns) and got DM 300 (German Marks, more than thrice the value...) and the biggest difference was that a certain amount (here in Germany DM 300, later DM 400) were guaranteed per each cheque by the issuing bank, means if you - say - filled out three cheques with DM 400 each the bank had to pay DM 1.200 to the person who presented the cheque, no matter if the account of the cheque issuer

One word in British english, yes, but what about USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand...? (serious question)
google.com says: Results 1 - 10 of about 5,480,000 for skyscraper [definition]. (0.06 seconds) Results 1 - 10 of about 5,760,000 for sky scraper. (0.24 seconds)

Well, I have been constantly criticising MB for years and so as a compensation from time to time I do have to travel to Stuttgart and then to clean production lines, CEO toilets and such with my toothbrush for free - wonder what will happen when they realize I will sell my good old W123 soon and substitute it with a VW Golf Mk5... ;-))
Juergen
P.S.: to get serious: Life has changed for me, there's less spare time left to participate in newsgroups etc. and at times when I'm away from home it's even close to zero
Add pictures here
βœ–
See below.