Mini Moke Water Temperature

I fitted a Smiths water temp/oil pressure combination gauge to my steed and I am observing higher running temps on the freeway than in the city.

No blown head gasket, pure water in the rad (yes I know but I chose to do this, will add water wetter for anti rust later today), timing seems okay.

Outside temp hovering around 100 degrees, indicated in city around 190 but out on freeway it indicates 210.

I have also been fiddling with the carb adjustment and I think I have it right (no more fouling of the plugs) but upon shutdown it diesels on.

Thanks.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

nite fire

Hi, Is the temperature sensor matched to the guage? If not it may be reading incorrectly and giving you a false high reading.

Keith

Yes I have gone to stage 1 but using the correct needle per the SU needle program - WinSu.

I am trying to get together a rolling road day with a couple of folks locally here.

There are many rolling roads but only one with Su knowledge.

Thanks Dave.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

I think it is because it is welded/soldered on to the gauge.

To be clear the car is not overheating or boiling over or any of that sorts I am just curious to see if Minis read higher on the open road as opposed to street because of there side radiator.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

Just check the timing that its not too far advanced. ( and that the advance curves are correct)?

Does the car have a thermostat.(or restrictor)? What is the opening temperature?

Which needles have you been using before and after?

Which spark plugs?

rm

Reply to
Rob

One other thing it could be is poor airflow through the engine bay. when I fitted all my spots I had to get a 3core instead of a 2core rad to keep it cool when driving.

It was fine at slow speeds, but really awful at anything about 50mph

-anthony

Reply to
Anthony

The best radiator I have found is this one:

runns a lot cooler than a standard rad, had one fitted to my 1460,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

Looks good.

The issue for me will be shipping to the colonies.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

Thats a nice, My 3core came from my 1981 mini city, is brass and leaks even though its been repaired at least once :)

Might give that one a try some time.

cheers

-anthony

Reply to