generic ignition cylinder

Hey

My ignition isn't work well in my car. I went to the dealer and they said $120 for the ignition lock and 2 hours labor to install it.

My grandfather is a mechanic and I was wondering if a generic ignition cylinder will do the same trick? Will it work with that car, what do I look for when buying one, and how much would they be?

Thanks

Reply to
Brett Baisley

Just ask for one for your model of vehicle. The generic should work just the same as a OEM part. Might be a cheaper looking key to go with it.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,329 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Kinda hard to say without knowing anything about the car.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

Check with a licensed locksmith. I had a "generic" installed in mine (by the locksmith) for about $70.

Reply to
Rich B

I just went to the auto parts store here in town, and it's $107 just for the part there, and thats the generic brand. $150 for the GM model. I wonder why its so expensive? I see them for other types of cars for $30...

Reply to
Brett Baisley

I have a 1994 Chevrolet C20 Van with a 4.3 L V-6 that has just started exhibiting an odd and annoying fluctuation of the water temperature gauge. The gauge starts out registering normal (I think) and then will peg well past the 260 degree point and then bounce back down to the low end of the scale and then bounce just about everywhere in between. I have replaced the sending unit in the block and the thermostat itslf (a real long shot). Neither replacement made any difference. I then pulled out the instrument cluster from the dashboard and cleaned all of the contacts on both the plug and the "circuit sheet" on the back of the cluster. No Joy! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might check / replace next? Appreciate any and all wisdom the list might have available to dispense. TIA.

Regards, Jack Coyle

Reply to
Jack Coyle

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

When you run a blinker does it it any way affect the temp needle? Where is the temp sender located, the actual housing or whatever it screws into? I assume your fuel gauge is normal. Oil light or gague?

Jack

Reply to
Dr Sparks

Apologies for the delay in responding. Couldn't get to a computer during the week. To answer your queries:

1) The flunctuations appear to be impervious to operation of the turn signals. While there is some variation in the needle movement when the turn signals are on, it doesn't appear to be any different than when the turn signals are not on. 2) The temp sender screws into the manifold, just beside the gooseneck for the water return hose. 3) The vehicle has an oil gauge and it appear to register accurately. 4) The fuel gauge and, for that matter, all other gauges appear to be functioning normally.

When you inquired about the possible relationship between turn signal operation and fluctuation, I purchased a new flasher assembly and installed it in the off chance there was a relationship, but it made no difference in the symptoms.

Regards, Jack Coyle

Reply to
Jack Coyle

Re: Water Temperature Gauge Fluctuations Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Sat, Jan 10, 2004, 3:52pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@nc.rr.com (Jack=A0Coyle) Apologies for the delay in responding. Couldn't get to a computer during the week. To answer your queries:

1) The flunctuations appear to be impervious to operation of the turn signals. While there is some variation in the needle movement when the turn signals are on, it doesn't appear to be any different than when the turn signals are not on. 2) The temp sender screws into the manifold, just beside the gooseneck for the water return hose. 3) The vehicle has an oil gauge and it appear to register accurately.

When you say bouncing you mean 1 up and down almost like your spedo gauge or 2 you mean it goes up for a while and then the temp drops then slowly goes back up then drops back down.?If its #1 you have a bad temp sensor.Or gauge if its #2 you have air in your system that needs to be bled out.... Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook