Question on Clutch

It's time for new clutch on the Moke. I am using an MG Metro powertrain but with pre verto clutch stuff.

While I am in there is there any performance parts/upgrades I can use here to gain more insane performance? I always like to use the opportunity when changing parts to get an edge.

Thanks.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

Hello!

You can get a lightened flywheel and back plate assembly, that would help the engine to accelerate better in lower gears!

You can use a turbo clutch plate if you are expecting lots of torque from the engine, I got one in mine at moment and with 10psi of supercharged boost it seems to be ok with a new diaphragm, although it does judder a little on take up.

The diaphragms are available in higher pressures, I think the next one up for road use is an orange one which gives a slightly heavier clutch pedal or they do heavier springs which really are too heavy for traffic, best suited for race machines where no real clutch slipping is required for parking etc!

The clutch plates are available in different grades also with some capable of just 76lb/ft of torque and some capable of over 119lb/ft, rally and race ones are available as well but are really an all on or off affair so are no good for traffic.

The real question with plates and diaphrams is, does your clutch slip at the moment under power? (before it was worn!) if not then maybe just leave as is, I would go down the lightened flywheel route though!

Miniman

Reply to
miniman

Thanks for your response.

The whole clutch assembly was a transfer from my old 850 powerplant. It did not slip in the 850 but at 33 hp. The very moment I installed it in the 1300 it slipped but now gotten progressively worse. Yesterday afternoon I had a hard time going up the Cajon Pass here in Southern California in 4th gear. I think it was an 6% longish grade.

I was told that the pressure on the 850 is less than the 1300 and use different plates.

I tried to get a lightened flywheel today but my local stockiest

was out of them. I however went with some higher rated clutch package. Thanks for your time and have a nice weekend. It's 105 degrees here now.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

Bear in mond that lightened standard flywheels have a tendancy to go bang when used for long periods at high rpm, and the flywheel sits roughly just between your legs. The steel flywheels are better but also mean that they have to be removed every 3000 or so miles and re-lapped back onto the crank - otherwise it will frett and eventually weld itself to the crank. Not a prob if you have a steel crank but you should keep it mind on a road car you do lots of miles in. AP do an uprated clutch plate. V similar to std but doesnt have the 4 springs in the middle so as other poster says, it is a bit sharp on take up.

hth chris

Reply to
Chris

There are 4 standard pressure plates red spot -850 light green - 998 black/ white 997/998 Cooper and green/blue cooper S

Just as a note on the installation of the clutch assembly irrespective of car type.

If you do not line up the balance marks - cover, FWheel and PPlate it will also slip.

rm

Reply to
Rob