running hot

Hi

Our open classic doesn't like the warm weather. Its had a couple of mammoth runs recently and is getting very close to the red.

Over the past months its had new rad, thermostat and cap. The electric fan (even at this temperature) still hasn't cut in, is this normal?.

Are the switches prone to failure, are they readily available.

I have thought about just having it running all the time (it works when the switch is shorted out) are there any potential prblems to doing this just in the warm weather.

thanks

Gary

Reply to
geepeetee

It could be the fan temp sender - check it's resistance. A friend wired his in with a relay coming off the sidelight circuit. If you're using those antifreezes which dont need mixing then I find they run hotter, even my two stroke 350LC ran hot with that stuff. Back to h2o and antifreeze mix and things calmed down.

Other than that check the w/pump belt is tensioned ok, they slip if they get wet too.

Chri$

Reply to
<$>

Well I know the electric auxilliary fan on my 90' Mainstream Cooper only ever kicks in when it's sitting in heavy traffic on a scorchingly hot day. So that's not very often in Britain! Oh and the temp. gauge would be very close to red at that point too!

But the fan on mine is the bolt on type, where as you have the one built into the inner wing, but as you've already proven it works by connecting the 2 spades mounted at the base of the radiator together with a paper clip (or whatever), then that fan should kick in before the radiator boils over.

So don't worry unless you actually see steam coming out the sides.

Taffy

Reply to
Taffy

Hi People, I hate to be a killjoy, have you considered the head gasket, I have found that most A series engines, need a head gasket when they have done 60 to 80K miles, we tend to dismiss the headgasket and change everything else first, Worth changing is yours falls in this category, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Well mine's still on it's original and it's gone around the clock! Oh god you have me worried now Fitzy! ;O)

Reply to
Taffy

Lets face it Taffy, eventually its going to need a head gasket, don't wait for it to go,

2-3 hours taking your time should sort it out, and give you piece of mind we learn to live with a slight overheating problem, and put it down to "the summer" or the radiator, or even the thermostat, but its ok in the winter,, how many times have we heard people saying exactly this, when I was employed by a main dealer, we had a schedule at 100,000 miles to remove cylinder heads (at customers expense) and examine the cylinders for wear etc, we never found any wear on any of the engines, and proceeded to rebuild using a new head gasket,,,,,,,,,,WELL THERE'S A SHOCK..........some one doesn't want to advertise that our engines need a HG at or around 100K, most manufacturers suffered with the same fault back in the 70s and 80s but to be fare, modern engines have better components and do a much higher mileage without any major surgery, sorry for rambling on Fitzy
Reply to
Fitzy